Popular Posts

Sunday, September 13, 2009

what's up people!!!! well let me start this off by welcoming you to this small music blog that I created for the sole purpose of sharing some of my favorite music with you, I have been to so many blogs and the likes of finding some of my favorite music and I end up scrolling thru their whole blog and end up with one download (here I'am trying to change that).

as a youth growing up in the west coast (pasadena more specifically) in the mid 80's the music of choice for the inner city youth was always rap music (now called hip hop), and it didn't matter where it came from as long as it was dope....you could be from cali, ny, phillie, miami, texas, detroit, whaterever! I can recall seeing nissan hard body trucks with the tops chopped off rollin' on cookie cutter rims or suzuki samurais rollin' with monster humps (I mean real humps that would rattle your house from a block away) blastin' mixmaster spade's genius is back or king tee's bass (I'am talking of '88 of course) back when music had substance, no disrespect to the "now school" but now a days ghetto music (which is the blue print of hip hop) has lost it's edge.

no longer is there a mc who is respected for his lyrical prowess and his choice of beats but now a days a rapper has to have a criminal rap sheet in order to sell records (I totally disagree with this practice) we never questioned whether ice cube really killed all those people he seemed to kill on the nwa album or if scarface really blew somebody's head off like he said on so many songs, it was entertainment and just that....now a days if a rapper speaks about cocaine the fans really expect the entertainer to have been involved in real drug trafficking in order to embrace him.

gone are the days of the comical rapper (with the exception of maybe devin the dude) there is no one else doing this style of rap, back in the days we had people like biz markie and the fresh prince who would craft a record around comedic stories and have you laughing your ass off as you bumped the track on your stereo.

nas said hip hop is dead and he really isn't totally wrong and here is why:
when was the last time you actually bought a cd by your favorite rap artist and you were completely satisfied? I mean a cd that you threw in the deck and bumped it from begining to end and said to yourself "this album is the shit!".... I bet it's been a while or how many times have you purchased a cd of your favorite rapper only to find that t has more collabos than songs by the actual artist? all this is because rappers now a days cannot carry a album all by themselves and also because of corporate greed..... now a days a album has to go at least platinum to be viewed as a success (this only applies to new artists because a established rapper has to sell way more or it's viewed as failure and could end up getting dropped from his recording label), rappers spend their whole budgets trying to get a track from a famous producer or tryin to get that cameo by another successful artist in hopes of cashing in on the songs guest's followers, so it's more like "gimme 50 g's, I'll drop some verses on yo shit and you could make you some fat cash".

hip hop saw it's first light in the parks around new york and expanded all the way to the south the north and the west, every place that it came from it had it's own flavor....miami had the bass n.y had the funk and the west had electro...but you could go to any party and the d.j would throw a combination of all of the above and get the party rocking and didn't no one care where it came from it was about getting yo party on!, now a days we have become so one track minded that just because I'm from cali people assume that I only listen to west coast rap or that I only know about west coast old school and know nothing about the elements of what makes hip hop because I grew up on the place that adopted hip hop (i.e not originated) but believe me when I tell you that have a vast knowledege of all the music that came out between '88 and '94 and then some after, so......... here is where our friendship starts (and hopefully it'll be a long one) on this blog where I will share with you my music and my stories related to a certain tape or certain song or video and maybe you all could share with us a memory, flashback or personal experience that you can rememeber pertaining to a certain song or album so that the youth of now a days that read this blog will not forget what hip hop really is and was all about.

so let me get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment